The Creative Arts Parent Association (CAPA), the only volunteer parents’ group committed solely to supporting and promoting the visual and performing arts at Wayland High School, announced its grant awards for this school year:
- Master classes
- Scholarships for music and art festivals (Senior Districts, Art and Music All-State)
- Fine Arts Night
- Fine Arts varsity-style jackets
- Art supplies: materials for glass projects, paint and matte board (so that the students can learn how to mat their own artwork)
- Guitar amplifier for jazz bands
- Conductor’s stand
- Piano bench and cover to keep the grand piano on the Main Stage in top condition
- Keyboard amplifier
- Korg electronic keyboard workstations – to start building a new Music Technology Lab to be used with the Apple computers
- Display cables for the visual arts, so that more student artwork can be displayed at WHS and around town (library and Town Building exhibitions)
- Calligraphy supplies and fabric/notions for visual arts projects
- Jazz keyboard case
- Three Yamaha guitars and supplies
- Microphone and USB port for listening lab
Three years ago, CAPA approved the following funding guidelines and has been using them ever since to evaluate grant proposals:
- CAPA expenditures support students and teachers in the WHS Fine Arts Department.
- CAPA funds should be fairly distributed across all disciplines (band, choral groups, orchestra, theater arts, dance and the visual arts) over time.
- CAPA supports creative initiatives / beyond-the-curriculum programs.
- CAPA funds should benefit as many students as possible.
- CAPA supports items that are outside the regular school operating budget; however, from time to time, CAPA will consider supporting items within the school operating budget.
Our main fundraisers are the college a cappella concerts, as well as the bottle and can drives. CAPA also sends out a mailer in the fall and accepts ongoing online donations.
CAPA sends out a very sincere THANK YOU to everyone who contributes to our efforts to keep the arts alive and well at WHS: by attending our a cappella concerts, bringing your recyclables to our Bottle and Can drives, sending in donations, and volunteering your time for CAPA events, fundraisers, and ongoing administration. We would also like to thank the fine arts teachers for their passion and dedication to our students.